Tuesday, February 5, 2008

News and Question for Friend in Oregon

Anna I just turned in my papers and am hoping for the best. Let me give you a little news and ask your opinion on something. My parents are moving to Houston and they called Jack to see if I could stay with Jack and Alice to the end of the semester. Jack told them I could stay as long as I wanted. I love my parents, but I want to stay here. Is not there an old saying about dying and going to heaven? That's(sp) the way I feel about the last year or so. Emily and I are doing fine, a little closer but still safe. I have real friends now. Jack, Alice, the rest of their family and a great lady from Oregon. To have people really care for you, not just use you is a great thing.

My question is this. On Monday evening at college they have a writers group limited to 10 students and 2 professors. I was one of two sophmores picked. There are 4 juniors and 4 seniors. I am really honored but to be picked they had to read some of my writing. So now another teacher knows my past. I do not go to a school connected with a religion but am afraid the teachers might be turned off by me as bad news if they know my full story. The panel that picked me are not the teachers of the group. And maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Do you think I should accept or say something like I have to work on Monday night? I have gained so much confidence by people helping me I would not want to lose that. Could you give me your frank opinion. Dr. Ellison says you write short things like we do in his class but you can write on anything. I'm not sure what I could write on. If you have a minute give me your advice please.
Thank you. Frank

3 comments:

  1. Anna Just read my blog again and it sounds like I'm the poor victim. I used people in the wrong way and almost all of what I have done is as much my fault. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank,

    That's great that you got into the Monday writer's group! I definitely think you should accept. If it's not a religious school, I would be more worried about a teacher looking down on you for having faith than I would be worried about a teacher looking down on you for your past. Even in an area where a lot of people are religious, I think they ought to be able to see past what you did then to who you are becoming now. Just like with Emily and her dad, all you can do now is to be the best person you can be. If other people refuse to see that, then there's not really anything you can do about them except try not to let it bother you too much. But don't start by assuming that people will think bad of you, and especially don't let it stand in the way of being all you can be. You're a good writer, and that's a gift from God. It's something worth developing, and this writer's group sounds like a good way to do that.

    As for ideas on what to write on, I'm not sure. If they don't pick different topics to give you, you might ask the teachers for ideas. You do a good job of writing the story of people's lives, making all the details fit into a picture of them. If you're stuck for other ideas, maybe you could try to interview someone or just get to know them, and then write papers on their lives?

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of scared,but I think I will do the Writers Group. The other kids seem so smart, at least the two I know. Dr. Ellison called me in and said I definately should accept. You think so also. I may submit a sample today or tomorrow for you to look at. Frank, scared but "brave."

    ReplyDelete