Sunday, February 6, 2011

College 'picking.'

I'll have to leave the "scam man"(MadPriest) and his "enablers"(life is a conspiracy against YOU) to continue their "dance" while I devote several posts to a group of high school juniors who are trying to find their way to choosing a college to attend next year.

I had the opportunity to meet with these high scool juniors in a forum called "Where Shall I Go?". The forum was held in a high school in a city about 75 miles from my hometown. All of us had a great discussion, and I am continuing with my thoughts here on my blog. A few startibg points.

There is a college looking for you. The USA has over 2500 colleges and universities. And one or several schools would be delighted if you came to their campus as a student.

A college education is just a beginning of your education. When we oldsters look back, we see that most of our knowledge comes AFTER college. A college education is just a small part of the knowledge you will obtain in your lifetime.

The college you go to need not be loaded with 'nobel' prize professors. All the teachers you will have know more than you do. Take advantage of their intelectual achievements.

You should look upon the college experience like moving to a new town. All aspects---classroom time dorm life---yes, even the food you will eat---all of these and many others--- are things you need to check out. In most probability you will live at your campus for 4 years.

Don't be defensive. The colleges you look at need you just as much or more than as you need the colleges. You are the consumer; the college is the seller.

I'll be back here in a couple of days. I have some observations you might want to consider. If you have question, you might want to wait to see my predelictions. And then fire away.

Of course I can't choose for you. But my experiences in helping students find the "right" college may be of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment