Friday, February 11, 2011

Picking a college. Three

Hey, you highschool juniors in E....Your questions have been great. I'm holding responses to your questions in the hope I may answer them in a post. Don't worry, I read each one and in a few days will respond.

Now a majority of students I have worked with,a pattern becomes clear. Like a first love most of you have a college you are mad to be accepted at. And if you don't get accepted at your first love, then with broken heart you go to one of your state public university. That's fine. But I suggest you broaden your horizon. As a said in my earlier post:There is a college looking for you. Look wider and you may find that college.

First, then, I suggest you go by groups to start your college search.

I'll suggest a pattern that I follow and then you can adjust it to your situation.


So here we go.

I know your parents, and probably you, wonder how you might get into an Ivy League school.

Harvard, Yale,  Princeton,Dartmouth---sure, there are other Ivies, but in our part of the country these are the Ivy League.Columbia and Penn and Cornell are Ivies, but they are large school with many graduate students and most first year college seekers from our part of the country usually find these last three a bit forbeidding. And we must add what I call Ivy League WEST. Standford, Cal, Tech, Cal Berkeley.

Group two are eastern colleges that are highly selective, but maybe you are not familiar with. In the public mind these schools may not be well known but they are fine schools just a little below the Ivies in prestige.Let me suggest a few.Williams, Lafayette,Colgate,Lehigh, Bucknell, and Holy Cross (for you papist::). There are a lot of schools in this category---I call them Ivy League "Lite." These are eastern schools, but you can make your own lists if you're not big on the East.

Group three are schools that are selective, yes, but for one reason or another are somewhat easier to get in to. Again there are lots of schools in this category so I've picked a state---OHIO---and mention several in that state that may be looking for an Okie if---and it can be a big if---the applicant ranks at least in the top quarter of his/her highschool graduating class. You might look at:Denison, Oberlin,Hiram, Wittenberg,Ohio Wesleyan. Okay, you haven't heard of these, but to people who know colleges these are fine schools.

Group four are schools within our general area: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas.They are generally comparable to the schools in Group Three. But a bit easier to get into. Four should be checked. Trinity University ( San Antonio), Austin College, Southwestern (Georgetown, Texas), and Hendrix College (Conway, Arkansas)

Now let's say you didn't set yourself on fire with the books in highschool. Are you destined to sell pencils on a street corner? Absolutely not. As life has it you may someday interviewing your best friend---a Dartmouth grad---for a home loan. But remember, you don't go to college just to get a better job. You go to college to get an INTRODUCTION to learning, and knowledge. You also will known, then, that learning and knowledge are mainly up to the individuals. So I recommend you guys in this group check out the schools in our home state. There are several that you can be accepted to. The school is the guide. But what you make of it is up to you.

15 comments:

  1. Mr. Haynes, hello. You probably do not remember me when you were here. My brother goes to the university of Kansas, KU. Do you recomend state universities? I am Todd Bailey. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I am Todd's mother. I think your suggestions are great. Most of the kids in his school want to go to Oklahoma University. And that's about it. Your visit lind of opened their eyes to other possibility. Thank you. Helen McGraft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Todd. State universities are fine. But most states have definite criteria for acceptance of freshmen. You have to be in the upper ten percent of your class(Texas)for example.I'm trying to get the guys to be a little more adventuresome. I might say that I am a liberal arts man and recommend a relatively small school. I have many in my family who have attended large state universities. But I still think most kids would really enjoy a school where they would know most of the other students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd called me and said you had answered his question. I would like to know where I get more information about the 20 schools that are on my early list.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete, I thought you were going to skip colleges and go straight to the NFL. Just joking. Have you decided to play football at the college level? If you want to play at college, my plan still works. Several of the schools I mention would love to have a tough Okie running back. I'm serious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete, let me add that you could contact the schools. But better yet in this early period you check with your school counselor. Many highschools keep books giving information about colleges, probably in more detail than you want now.

    Another suggestion: You and your friends might pitch in and buy several of these guides. Each guided is a little different, but taken together they cover about everthing about a school

    ReplyDelete
  7. am i doing this right--can i list the 15 schools i have picked on my prelem. list?

    kirk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see Kirk ask about sending his preliminary list; I'm going to talk to my parents this rvening and will send you my list for comment........Tom P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirk, Tom, sure, send me your lists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,Mr. Haynes.
    This is my preliminary list.So.Methodist,Dartmouth,University of Kansas,Tulsa University,Austin College,University of Arkansas,TCU,Okla. State,Okla. City University,Wittenberg University. What do you think?

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  11. MR HAYNES:
    TODD AND I ARE HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A BOOK WE GOT AT THE CITY LIBRARY.WE NEVER KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY COLLEGES IN THE U.S. HERE ARE SCHOOLS I THINK MIGHT BE GOOD FOR ME.LIKE TODD OKLHHOMA UNIVERSITY,OKLAHOMA STATE,KNOX COLLEGE,kANSAS UNIVERSITY,HENDRIX UNIVERSITY,GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY, LYNCHBURG COLLEGE,BUCKNELL UNIVERSITY,DRURY,oKLAHOMA CITY UNIVERSITY.

    KIRK MALLORY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kirk, Todd, I like your preliminary choices. I am pretty sure both of you are in the upper third at your highschool.Check further on the 'net. Also you might try arranging the school you list in the three,or more, categories I suggest. John Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I'm to old to back except for fun maybe after I retire. But your series is great advice! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Hank, thanks for the compliment. Great to hear from you.All the Catholic kids want Notre Dame. The others want Okklahoma University. Both good schools, but heck if you live in a country that has over 24 hundred colleges/universities it's worthwhile to look around. John

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey guys, the note above is most probably from a pitiful unhireable English preacher who solicits money from suckers on the internet. I publish his comments out of pity.

    Or it could be from some guy in Boston who talks 'good', but to my knowledge has never done anything for anyone else. All talk;no real concern for others.

    ReplyDelete