Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is this the DECISIVE election?

In the couple of years I have been reading blogs and having this blog, I have not posted on politics. However, in the last several days some trends have emerged which I want to post on.

I do consider this election the most important in my years of following politics. I vaguely remember the presidential elections of '40 and '44. In '48 and since I have followed each presidential campaign very closely from, as they say today, the events on the ground.

For all of these years I have had my favorite, of course. But I have always contended that, because of our two-party system, which forces both parties to the middle, the outcome of the presidential election has not been totally decisive in determining which direction politics in our country is going. This year, however, I feel very strongly that this election is of vital importance to our country and its politics. Maybe I am jumping the gun. Maybe Obama and McCain are really not that different and economic and foreign policy would not be that much different regardless of which one wins.

But frankly, my concern is the last few days has greatly increased. I may discuss these in detail in future posts, but let me point out two trends I see developing which could have a generational lasting effect.

For many campaign cycles the Republicans have had the upper hand in the minds of voters on national defense matters. But this year this debate is beginning to spill over into the matter of personal patriotism. Dole came very close to this with Clinton. But now McCain has crossed the line. His suggestion that Obama would 'rather win an election' than have America 'win a war' is to call his opponent disloyal, unpatriotic and, indeed, treasonous. Yes. strong words. And I notice that one of the major polls is polling on 'who is more patriotic ,McCain or Obama.?

I am a democrat, but have always had some regard for McCain. But apparently feeling he is behind in the race, he is playing this patriotism card. In the 60 years I have closely followed presidential campaigns, this McCain approach is the most blatant and disturbing thing I have seen. And it comes from a "moderate" Republican. So my fear is this: If this McCain position succeeds, what will follow? Will not both parties see the success of this ploy, and will our elections become nothing but lurid personal attacks on the loyalty to America by each side? Will jingoism became the national touchstone of our parties?

If anyone out there in blogdom thinks such issues should be explored, drop me a comment. On this post I also was going to discuss the issue of 'civilian supremacy' which McCain is raising. But let me wait and see if if this post 'finds' anyone. I mentioned "two" trends above, but am dealing with just one at this time. Jack

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the tip about your thought provoking blog. We are definitely on the same page. Have you heard Barack Obama's speech in Berlin yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I heard Obama in Berlin. Inspiring to me, but McCain camp can play on many Americans' fear of 'things foreign.' Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is inevitable. I am so grateful you are out there Jack, you brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you very much. I plan to post everyday, if possible , and appreciate your comments. Jack

    ReplyDelete