Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vocations and Callings

Football has distracted me from blogdom for a time, but I want to return to some thoughts about religion.

It is interesting to see that 'religious' persons are almost constantly involved in condeming those who do not agree with them to zillions of years of punishment. The reason religious people spend almost all their time wishing the worst for others, not of their faith, can be found with a little reflextion. The precepts of religion deal with things not subject to rational analysis. This does not mean that a person should not have religious beliefs(we all do), but it does mean that religious beliefs are just beliefs---they cannot be proven. Therefore every absurdity has been held important by some believers. After all, I can believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary, BUT in no way can I prove it to be true.

As a Catholic(sorry "Mr. Mole" you's just have to put up with me), I really don't get very bent out of shape by the doctrine of infallibility. Our church was challenged by science and modern thought in the 19th century, so thy propounded the doctrine that the Pope could not be in error on matter of faith and morals----in other words religion. And the fundamentalist protestants assure us that everyword in the Bible was correct, no matter how ridiculous.Both Catholics and many protestants were telling us there was NO way their beliefs could possibly be in error. So the hard line catholics believe some freakish little Italian (Pius 12) and a former Nazi soldier HAVE to be right on all serious matters of religion. And, Oh, those Bible believeing Christians!! They find a few lines in an ancient book and say it MUST be true because God dictated it. So some of us Catholics (like "The Mole") assure us that any one who defies the Guy in Rome with the red shoes is facing eternal damnation, and possibly may have a very hot future for eternity. And the Bible believeing group says we WILL face the same future, possibly,if we don't believe every page, every word in some old texts. BTW most other world religions have the same fights.

And since we really don't KNOW about the "other" world, most religions feel quite free to make something up to help their cause.

So I want to say a word about "vocations". Almost all preachers, priests, ministers like to inflate their own image by claiming that some being ("GOD") has picked them out as his fovorites and set them above all other people. Protestants use the word "called" and Catholics use the term "vocation." No one I have ever heard of can define these words. Here's the logic: A young man decides to become a priest;ergo that proves he has a "vocaton."A protestant chooses do be a minister,ergo that proves he was called. Somehow this seems backward to me. I prove I was "called" or God gave me a "vocation" just because I choose a certain occupation. After all did God, defined as omnisient, not in time, calls priests and ministers who have a strong proclivity to, for example, sexually molest young kids.

Now this is a special problem for us Catholics. To serve God in the highest. I must never "fall" into love with a member of the opposite sex, even have sexual thoughts. and , of course, not be bothered with those pesky children. B16 even praises those who LEAVE their families to be more favored by God. And this from your "family life" self appointed protectors.

Now, I'm not putting down priest , pastors, preachers whatever. Probably most of them are helpful. (I should note that a disproportionate number of homosexuals are 'tapped' by God to be Catholic priests. But since "vocations" come from a world we really can't know--just believe--I won't argue God's judgement here. )

We've all known priest, pastors, preachers , ministers. I think their professions are arrived at quite normally. They become interested in religion, they usually like to help people, they want to make a better world. Great. But to end on a sour note some of these guys and gals have other interest---like the body parts of the young. But nothing we can know is this world is perfect.
s

3 comments:

  1. Jack! I must apologize for some of my cells cause they are trying to convince me that you're actually an inmate of some kind and have too much spare time on your hand and this is how you're using "IT" to have fun and that you’re truly not interested in any ones Vocations and or their Callings

    I tell them that "IT" doesn't matter who you are or where you're at as long as you are a human being and truly trying to learn about Our Heavenly Father. Obviously as hard as I try to keep UP with you I can not and as you've said so often the same holds true for you so what do we do?

    Having said that, I've truly been placed in a mental hospital on four occasions for really having done no harm to anyone. In 1991, I've mentally created sinner vic to help me out and to make a long story short, he plans on destroying this world when I turn sixty-six and I now honestly believe that God, Our Heavenly Father is the only "ONE" who can stop him in "Time"

    As a human, in reality, I honestly laugh at him cause "IT" is funny as far as I'm concern and dare I say all other humans. As I said earlier, I've mentally created sinner vic in 1991 after 'Jesus' I truly believed carried me from these evil forces who had occupied me and call me crazy if you like, Jesus brought me back to reality life and I still owe HIM.

    I'm going to close by saying that compared to "The Blessed Trinity" I'm nothing more than a piece of fertilizer and I'll make "IT" even easier for you. Jack, sinner vic will be happy to discuss anything with you with a sincere heart but if I we're you cause none of sinner's cells have the right to steal your personally identity cause "IT" is not "Right" for a true honest Catholic to do such a thing. Having said that, and if you wish to keep your satiny, I would just decline the offer and pray instead if you know what I mean?

    Again I say, unless you're truly prepared to go to hell if need be in order to help your fella "Man" I would suggest that you not take sinner vic on with his offer.

    Between you and me Jack, I use to own about 40% of my cells but now I've only got three left which are worth anything in reality and sinner vic owns the rest which I've given to God. Go Figure!

    I could go on and on but I'm going to stop now and wish you good luck Jack.

    I hear ya Jack! Trust me Victor, I am a real human being and not truly locked UP!

    You have nothing to prove to me Jack!

    God Bless you,

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, "vocations and callings" are just fine. So is being a doctor or scientist. Just because some one says God especially likes me (vocation), I'll just say instead He doesn't pick our vocations. We're free. We do the picking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot of truth in what you say about seeing the worst in other people and. Your post also brings to mind what used to be called "mammies vocations" where mothers wanted their sons to be priests.
    But let us search for the truth. For my contribution see my blog.

    ReplyDelete