Friday, April 22, 2011

The college "Greek System"

The sorority/fraternity system at many colleges is something I believe potential students at the college should look at. Why? Well, at some schools these "Greek" groups are very dominant socially and prestige wise. And the Greek system is hierarchical. In other words, WHAT sorority or fraternity you belong to may be a factor in your campus life and recognition. Graduates of almost any college with a Greek system can, rather easily,"rank" these organizations from 'most desirable/pretigious' to be invited to join to 'least desirable/prestigious' to be invitedf to join.' And, at many schools your 'prestige' is important; going all the way to what parties you are invited to, to who you date.(I'm dating a Chi Omega---oh, yes, this is not uncommon).

Okay, call me a hypocrite, but I belong to a fraternity, as did my wife, and part of our choice of which one was determined by the 'prestige' of that group on the campus.We both did very well in the 'prestige' Greek organization we joined; but we both know today that the 'prestige' factor ir absurd in most cases.

Another factor: At a 'large' college/university (say over 5,000 undergrads) a sorority/fraterity membership can be important. Such membership gives you a "community" to attach to. The smaller the school, the less significant to you should Greek membership be. Sure, membership is okay at any school, IF, you don't get caught up in 'social/prestige' emphasis.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Finnell, I am working with highschool students on college selection at the time.I assume your comment was not about getting into college:).I ask my students to contact me by email, because of the creeps out there who might try to contact them. You're not the creep. I must say I do not share your theology.

    ReplyDelete