Thursday, August 7, 2008

THE FIRST PREDICTION!!!!!!

If I were to compare this election to a previous presidential election, the 1960 race between Nixon and Kennedy would, at this stage seem the best comparison. Sure there were plenty of differences but also some striking similarities.

Of course, the obvious parallel is the fact that Kennedy was only the second catholic nominated by a major party and Obama is the first African-American. Al Smith, a catholic, had been nominated by the Democrats in 1928 but was resoundingly defeated---many thought a major factor was Smith catholicism (including people in my own family). This big loss by Smith made many Democrsts wary of nominating a catholic. But in 1960 the Democrats went with Kennedy. Many Democrats thought the religious factor would be decisive for Nixon's election.

The 1960 race had another similarity. Nixon's campaign was based on experience. Kennedy theme was 'let get America moving again', that is, change.

But to me the deciding factor in that extremely close election was the persona of each candidate. In other words who had the most appealing persona or image. Most historians think the first presidential television debate ever between the two candidates was the turning point. Nixon was favored in the election but the debate showed that Kennedy was his equal in debating and--- this is important---Kennedy looked better.

Now we see some similrities to 2008. Obama is the first African-American to be nominated by the two major parties, as Kennedy was the second catholic. McCain is running on 'experience' and Obama on 'change.' But I think the first debate of 2008 will be decisive. Obama has the easier task. Republicans are already saying McCain will outclass Obama in the debate. But all Obama has to do is seem "equal" not better than his opponent. In other words, a draw means Obama wins this debate.

On the appearance factor, I believe Obama has the clear advantage. Youth versus age. Better looking versus average looking. Better speaking skills versus poor speaking skills. The issues are important, yes, and McCain has the advantage of a simpler view of the "social" issues, which issues were not a factor in 1960, and the Republicans have learned how to use these emotional themes to their advantage.

Either candidate could make a big gaffe in the debate. But both will be so well prepared that this is not a great possibility.

So an early prediction. I'll go out on a limb. A very close election with Obama the winner, based to a great degree on his more appealing personality. Kennedy had the "jumpers"." Obama has the potentiality of attracting "jumpers" , or their equivalent. THIS IS THE EARLIEST PREDICION YOU HAVE SEEN. Of course I have the right to change, or be within the margin of error. Take that pollster wimps:).

9 comments:

  1. Not on topic...

    What do you think of this story and the author's comment at the end that sometimes you can see the hand of God at work in your life?

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I'm not sure. You know maybe both of us are extremes. You know the term "theism" and "pantheism". Maybe I am almost a theist--God set the rules and then lets them run, no interference. Maybe you are a pantheist--God is involved in everything.

    I know you are a good person. You help others. Frank heard from you and that helped him and Derrick, How we interpret that metaphysically I guess is our difference.

    In the next few days I hope to finish my blogging on one-cell persons. Hope you check it.:) Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack,

    What you call theism, I think of as Deism. As for pantheism, wikipedia says it is, "Pantheism is the view that everything is of an all-encompassing immanent abstract God; or that the Universe, or nature, and God are equivalent." This is not my view. My view is that God is very personal, intimately involved in our lives, not that the world is an abstract God.

    When I help Frank, that is God accomplishing his will through my actions, God working through me. God chooses to bless Frank, and I cooperate. The good that you have done for Frank and Derrick; that is you being the hand of God in their life. How can you not see that God is using you to bless them? (And, I think, using them to bless you and Alice as well.)

    Out of curiousity, have you ever heard of the Examen? What do you think of it?

    As for one-celled persons, I can't keep up with it all. I still haven't gotten back to your last response, and I'm not sure when I'll have time to. *sigh* I think I need an identical twin to live half my life for me. ;)

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, of course I meant "deism." Senior moment!!! Will respond further. Watching Olympics. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, you DO help Frank and Derrick. But could/would you not to this without God? Maybe I'm simplifying but you seem to be saying 'if it's good' it must be God working through you. Kind of you are not capable of good by yourself. Okay, let's say God did send us Frank and Derrick. But did that same God take away our son John. What's the difference?

    All I know is we suffered a great loss, but now we have the opportunity to help two who really needed help. I do not know what these two boys think, but I think they see it more your way, which is fine. They thank you; I thank you. Is not HUMAN concern and kindness enough? Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack,

    I think I'm going to be doing a lot of quoting Scripture here, but bear with me. First, a passage I came across yesterday, from 1 Cor 3.
    ______________________

    While one says: "I follow Paul," and the other: "I follow Apollos," what are you but people still at a human level?
    For what is Apollos? What is Paul? They are ministers and through them you believed, as it was given by the Lord to each of them. I planted, Apollos watered the plant, but God made it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who makes the plant grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work to the same end, and the Lord will pay each according to his work. We are fellow-workers with God[.]...
    Let no one deceive himself. If anyone of you considers himself wise in the ways of the world, let him become a fool, so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's eyes. To this, Scripture says: God catches the wise in his own wisdom. It also says: The Lord knows the reasoning of the wise, that it is useless.
    Because of this, let no one become an admirer of humans, for everything belongs to you, Paul, Apollos, Cephas - life, death, the present and the future. Everything is yours, and you, you belong to Christ, and Christ is of God.
    ____________________

    So yes, I am saying that everything that is good comes from God. James 1:17, "Every good and perfect gift comes from above, from the Father of Light, in whom there is no change or shadow of a change."

    Kind of you are not capable of good by yourself. ... Is not HUMAN concern and kindness enough?

    By myself, without God's grace? In my experience, no, I am not capable of good without God's grace to help me. I say with Paul, "I discover, then, this reality: though I wish to do what is right, the evil within me asserts itself first. My inmost self agrees and rejoices with the law of God, but I notice in my body another law challenging the law of the spirit, and delivering me as a slave to the law of sin written in my members. Alas for me! Who will free me from this being which is only death? Let us give thanks to God through Jesus Christ, our Lord! ... For, in Jesus Christ, the law of the Spirit of life has set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 7:21 - 8:2).

    There is a book that C.S. Lewis writes called The Four Loves in which he examines the sort of natural goods and evils to which humans are inclined, in their loves. I wish I had a copy, so that I could quote it properly. He suggests something to the effect that we will find in heaven that only to the degree that we put the supernatural charity of God over our natural loves will those loves be truly worthwhile and good.

    This has been my experience; that while I am naturally inclined to do much good, this good is a whimsical thing, marred by selfishness and laziness unless/until I allow God's grace to change me from the inside out. This has been true of my relationship with my kids and my husband, most noticeably.

    Okay, let's say God did send us Frank and Derrick. But did that same God take away our son John. What's the difference?

    At some level, every death is caused by Satan, who seeks always to destroy us. But God allowed your son John to die. I don't know why.

    This much I can say, though. Because God created him, John belonged to God, not to you. I try to see all my children as on loan from God, a gift that he gives me, but not one that is mine forever. I have to let go of them eventually, whether it is to allow them to serve their vocation to God, to allow God to bring them to himself in death, or to allow them to be with the spouse God gives them to. And it is God, not me, who decides when and to what degree I must return his blessings. But because I know his love for me, I trust that he will give me the strength to bear all that he asks of me. And when it comes to loved ones, I trust, too, that I will have an eternity to spend with them, and that they are even now bound to me through Christ's body, even if they are not as present with me as I want them to be.

    You're Catholic now, Jack; have you ever thought of praying to John, in heaven? Perhaps you could ask him to pray that any lingering hurt you have over his death will be healed? I ask my mom for prayers when I think of it, and I find that helpful.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Obama doesn't win America has yet to learn it's lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suddenly sixty, I think we are thinking the same thing, but I am a bit afraid to say it. I'll get up my courage someday. I think you are reading my mind. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna, we obviously see things a bit different. But you are GREAT. You can inspire, even though I have a hard time following your logic. But I loved your comment. Jack

    ReplyDelete