Wednesday, August 6, 2008

President, election, Trivia

When I taught a course on Presidents, the kids loved the "trivia" unit best. So here are ten trivia questions about presidents and elections. Let me know by comment what your answers are. I'm pretty sure I'm right on the answers but if you think I'm wrong, let me know after the answers tomorrow.

One. What presidential candidate was refered to by his oppents as "The little man on the wedding cake"?

Two. According to Washington insiders at the time, who was our only "gay" president?

Three. Who was the youngest person to ever serve as president?

Four. Who was our only bachelor president?

Five. What person won the popular vote for president three times but was only elected twice?

Six. What president of the 19 century was accused of having an illegitimate child?

Seven. What president was neither elected president or vice-president?

Eight. What president wrote a book on government which became a standard textbook in colleges? (Written before he was president, I believe).

Nine. What third party presidential candidate was the only third party candidate to finish second in a presidential race. (After 1860)

Ten. What president served the shortest time as president?



BTW, this is a great party game for those into politics, history, elections.

3 comments:

  1. 3. Wasn't that JFK?

    9. Oooo. I read about this recently. I think he was part of the Populist party. I don't remember his name though. The party had to do with farmers. Does it count if I go look it up?

    10. Again with the not remembering his name. Johnson? Someone served only a few days or a few hours, though, before dying, maybe of a heart attack.

    The others I have no clue.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, Answers.
    One. Thomas Dewey---1948.
    Two.Buchannan.---Called "Aunt Nelly."
    Three.Teddy Roosevelt
    Four.Buchannan again.
    Five.Grover Cleveland
    Six. Cleveland
    Seven.Gerald Ford
    Eight.Woodrow Wilson
    Nine.Teddy Roosevelt, 1912
    Ten.William Henry Harrison---one month.

    I have an advantage in that I, my parents, or grandparents were alive during all except question ten.:) Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack said "Two.Buchannan.---Called "Aunt Nelly."

    While I agree all your answers are correct, this one was misstated. Buchanan was "Aunt Nancy", not Nelly.

    Andrew Jackson referred to Buchanan and William R.d. King as "Aunt Nancy" and "Miss Fancy". King was Vice President under Pierce, and died in office in Alabama, not long after taking the VP oath in Cuba.

    ReplyDelete