Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Accident and the Other Person?


The year before I started to college I was in an accident. I was working in the big city to get some money to help on college. We were tearing down and old wearhouse and a wall of bricks fell down. It missed my head but landed on my feet. There was a deep gash on my right foot and my left foot was broken including the second, third, and fourth toes. They called an ambulance and took me to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain. The nurses that looked at me took off my jeans so they could see the injuries. Jack had come to the hospital and when one of the nurses said "my, your feet and legs are dirty, Jack went ballistic, he screamed "DON'T TALK TO HIM THAT WAY.Then he told the nurse to leave. But the doctor was very nice and they put me to sleep and fix both feet. When I came to the doctor was telling Jack and Alice I probably should stay in the hospital for a few days. Alice must have seen the plead in my eyes because she said "I think we can take care of him." I was afraid of the hospital. The doctor said okay but it will be a lot of trouble. Alice said "we can do it."
So I went to their house. Alice was told you check me twice a night to be sure I was alright and help me to use the bag if I needed to go to the bathroom. Jack was really sick with cancer at that time so the work fell on Alice.
About seven that evening my pain really came back. I was almost screaming with agony. The doctor had given Alice a pain pill for me but it had worn off. I think he gave me just one pill because he thought I might be a druggie. Alice was scared by my screaming and Jack tried to call the doctor to get more pain pills, but all he got was the answering machine. Alice was about to call an ambulance when there was a knock at the door. A ppriest from her church was at the door. He said"I understand you have a sick boy here." Alice said "did someone call you" and the priest did not answer. He came in my room, made a sign or my forhead and said "don't worry boy we will get you help." He left the room and made a phone call. 20 minutes later a delivery boy brought some pain pills. The priest held my head up and gave me the pill with a glass of water. The pain started to go away and I fell asleep. Later I learn the priest and stayed with
us almost all night, I had ask him to stay.
Alice was a great nurse. She put ice packs on my feet to help stop the swelling. She washed my cut foot several times a day as the doctor had told her. She helped me go to the bathroom. She had to change my clothes several times a day because the pills made me sweat a lot. But it was strange. When she changed my clothes I was not embarassed or ashamed. Even one time I wet the bed but she said " don't worry it could happen to us all." So I was not ashamed.
She took great care of me for two weeks and then I went home to my town. I later learned they paid all my doctor bill and made up the money I had lost by not working.
So I begin to realize people would help you even if they got nothing in return. I was not even a relative.
Now Jack has a little difference of opinion with Alice and I. He says this whole accident thing shows how good people can be. But Alice and I think he leaves out one Person. When I go to bed at night and try to pray I thank that Person. I hope He hears. Then I go to sleep.

8 comments:

  1. Frank,

    I don't know if you're allowed to have question/question marks in your title or not, but I liked the title for this one. I think I understood it pretty much, too.

    There's something I've been wondering about since Jack first told me the story about the nurse's comment. Obviously he felt she was being rude and insulting you, so he defended you, and I think that part is great. I wonder though – did you feel like she was putting you down?

    Spellling/grammar corrections: “before I started to college” isn't quite right. You could either make it “before I started going to college” or just “before I started college”. And I would put a comma right after that “college”. “to help on college” should probably be “to help pay for college” or “to help with college”. “tearing down and old” should be “tearing down an old”. “wearhouse” should be “warehouse”. You forgot the second quotation mark to mark the end of what the nurse said: it should go right after “dirty”. That sentence needs something else between “Jack went ballistic” and “he screamed” besides a comma. You could put a period and make the “he screamed” part be a new sentence, you could put in a semicolon, or at the very least you should put a comma and then the word “and”. I think I'd recommend a period and new sentence. At the end of Jack's words, you forgot the second quotation mark again. It should be right after “WAY”. “fix both feet” should be “fixed both feet”. “When I came to” really needs a comma after it, because otherwise it sounds like you are saying 'when I came to the doctor'. “must have seen the plead” should probably be “must have seen the pleading”. You might put quote marks around the doctor's words “okay, but it will be a lot of trouble” (and that comma after “okay” can be there, but I don't know that it has to be.) “Alice was told you check” would be much better as “Alice was told to check”. “ppriest” of course is “priest”. “made a sign or my forhead” should be “made a sign on my forehead” [By the way, that was probably the sign of the cross?] “don't worry boy we will” should be “don't worry, boy, we will”. “20 minutes” should be written out “Twenty minutes” because it's at the beginning of the sentence. “Later I learn the priest and stayed” should be “Later I learned the priest had stayed”. “night, I had ask him to stay” should be “night; I had asked him to stay”. “embarassed” should be “embarrassed”. “all my doctor bill” should either be “all of my doctor bill” or “all my doctor bills”. “So I begin” should be “So I began”.

    Places I would add commas: after “deep gash on my right foot”, and after “left foot was broken”. I think you're getting better about that part.

    That Person definitely hears when you pray every night.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna. Yes I felt bad when she said that. It was like she was saying ugh you should wash better.Now I have got to wash your dirty feet.

    Most of us in the class have been turning in our papers each day, so we may get them back Tuesday. I am hopeful. I saw Dr. Ellison at the library yesterday and he said "hang in there kid". I try to think what that means but can not guess. Will let you know as soon as I hear what he says. Thank you Anna. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, this is probably not right but will you say a prayer for me. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank,

    Whatever in the world would be wrong with asking for prayers? Of course I'll pray for you.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna. But at church I prayed I would do good on my writing. That seems like a selfish thing to do. This writing is so important to me. This is really my best shot at college to be something, since you encourage me. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank,

    It isn't selfish to pray for something you want. Even Jesus prayed that he wouldn't have to be crucified. (Luke 22:42).

    Here's a couple other Bible passages to encourage you to pray for whatever you want (as long as it's something you think is good):

    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philipians 4:6).

    "I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." John 16:23-24

    "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
    Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:7-12

    God wants what is good for us. If there is something that you think would not be good for you, then don't ask. But if it's something good, like doing well on a paper, then ask Him for it, because he loves you and wants to give you good things. He wants you to be happy, to have your heart's desires satisfied.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anna, you have done far more than you think for frank. if he can just at least a C he will take a big step to possibly thinking better of himself. it was the last sentence in paper1 and 5, "then I went to sleep" that was good writing but shows he is coming along.

    anna, I know i should forgive, but when i see his back, legs and behind it is really hard to forgive. iwill erase the first comment and leave this awhile so you can see it. alice

    ReplyDelete