Friday, November 30, 2007

Note. Dr. Ellison this title is not completely mine. I am not that sharp. The husband of the family I am living with used it when he first heard I might go from baptist to catholic. If you have to take off points I will understand.


From Nashville to Rome

I was brought up a baptist. I went to church almost every sunday. When I was nine I was saved. I was not sure what that meant, I thought it meant I would not go to hell. To be a christian was not to smoke, not to dance, not to cuss, not to do bad things to yourself like self abuse. A lot of times I felt like the preacher was looking straight at me, because I had done all of these things by fifteen.

As I got older I begin to not go church if I could think of an excuse. I would say I was sick, or I hurtt my arm in the friday night football game. Then my older brother got in trouble, they call it joy riding, taking another persons car. I felt bad. Maybe he was in trouble because I was not good. So I tried to be better and better but I only got worse and worse as I wrote before.

My friend Glenn had a great uncle in the nearby big city and I visited Jack and his wife Alice many times. Alice was catholic and Jack was epispocalian. Jack did not go to church much but Alice went every week. She never ask us to go with her to church but we decided one weekend to go with her. We had heard catholics spoke in a foreing speech, that they wore long robes, used insense, and thought Mary was God. We were really surprised. We understood every word, they spoke in English and I can not remember them saying Mary was God. We went back to that church many times with Alice. At the end of the service the people would line up to take communion. Everybody lined up. A man they said was the richest man in the city and some poor mexicans. They seemed to be all the same. We ask Alice if we could get in the line. She said you cannot take communion but you can go up and the priest will bless you. We did and for some reason when the minister put his hand on my head and said "God bless you" that made me feel good. So we decided we wanted to be catholics. We especially liked the sermons. They were about helping others and not just about clean living.
When I told Jack what I was thinking he said "so you want to go from Nashville to Rome." I did not understand but he explained that the baptist headquarters was in Nashville and the catholic headquarters was in Rome. I wanted to make the trip.
I like the baptist. They have some great songs. "Blessed assurance Jesus is mine, o what a fortaste of glory devine" and my favorite" Just as I am without one plead, but that they blood was shed for me." I think the plead meant excuse.
Another thing happened which I will tell later. But I joined what they call a rcia class. I am still in the class, but one thing scared me. About a month ago a priest I did not know called me out of class and said"are you sure you want to be catholic or are you just being nice to Alice?" I did not know if he was telling me not to come back. My famly was going to Texas for thanksgiving so I did not know whether to go with them or stay for class. I wrote a guy on the internet and he said stay and go to class. On thansgiving morning a priest who had helped me once, I will tell later how he helped me, called and ask Jack if he could come by for just a couple of minutes. I knew he was going to tell me not to come back. He came by and said he was looking forward to me at the class, then he gave me a little prayer book, put his hand on my head and said "Frank, God lives you." Before he had always said God bless you. Jack and Alice and I all noticed the difference.
So I guess I am on the road to Rome. I really want to get there. I think I will be better and happy. Frank

7 comments:

  1. Anna. The priest said god LOVES you not God Lives you. Anna I know this sounds like we might not be serious but other things happened but I had to keep my words down. You may notice I am afraid of what they call contractions. I need to work on that. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank,

    Yep, I understood this one too. And the title seemed just right, too, even if Jack said it first.

    Spelling/grammar corrections: In the intro, you might say “go from being a baptist to being a catholic” instead of just “go from baptist to catholic.” Sunday should be capitalized. “meant” should be followed by a semicolon instead of a comma. “To be a christian was not to smoke,” sounds awkward to me: I think it would be better if you switched it to “To be a Christian meant not to smoke,”. Normally you're supposed to put “and” before the last one of a list, so you could make it “not to cuss, and not to do bad things”, but I'm not sure if it's actually wrong not to put the “and” in. “I begin to not go church” should be “I began to not go to church”. You mistyped “hurt” as “hurtt”. “got in trouble” should have a semicolon after it instead of a comma. “persons” should be “person's”. “worse and worse” should have a comma after it. Catholic and Episcopalian and Baptist should probably be capitalized throughout the paper. “She never ask” should be “She never asked”. “foreing” should be “foreign”. “insense” should be “incense”. That whole sentence, you switch whether you use “that” or not: it might be better if you either said “We had heard that Catholics spoke in a foreign speech, that they wore long robes, that they used incense, and that they thought Mary was God” or even better, “We had heard that Catholics spoke in a foreign speech, wore long robes, used incense, and thought Mary was God.” This way, the first “that” covers all the list of things. “A man they said was the richest man in the city and some poor mexicans” isn't a complete sentence: it might be better if you combined it with the sentence before that, like “Everybody lined up, a man they said was the richest man in the city and some poor Mexicans.” “I like the baptist” should be “I like the Baptists”. I haven't heard the Baptist songs before, but “fortaste” is usually spelled “foretaste” and “devine” is usually spelled “divine”, “o” is usually capitalized “O”, and when it says “but that they blood was shed” is probably supposed to be “but that thy blood was shed”. When you typed “out of class and said”are you”, there should be a space after “said”, before the quote mark, but that was probably a typo. “famly” is “family”, which I think you know. Thanksgiving should probably be capitalized, both times (and you forgot the “k” the second time). “looking forward to me at the class” should be “looking forward to seeing me at the class” or “looking forward to having me at the class” or something like that.

    Some places I would add commas: after “great uncle in the nearby big city”, after “Jack did not go to church much”, after “She never asked us to go with her to church”, and after “put his hand on my head”. These are the places where you are joining two thought-sentences together with “and” in between. If the sentences are really short, you don't need the comma, but if they're normal length, I believe the comma is better.

    Why are you afraid of contractions? I think contractions are often considered informal, so that they're not supposed to be in a formal paper, so it might be best if you left them out anyway. But they shouldn't be too scary: do not = don't, can not = can't, they are = they're, I am = I'm, will not = won't, have not = haven't, did not = didn't, etc.

    I'm very glad you're going to become Catholic, and it's really cool to see how you're getting there. I didn't think you sounded at all like you weren't serious. The priest that almost scared you off: I think I know why he asked you that. I've heard of a lot of people who ask to have Catholic weddings because their parents are Catholic and want them to have one. But the couple doesn't really care about being Catholic or raising their kids Catholic, and they never show up in church again because they were doing it for someone else instead of doing it for themselves. So I think the priest asked you that because he wanted to know that you wanted to be Catholic for yourself, you know? And you said yourself, you really want to get there. I think that priest would be happy to know that. If he asks you again, maybe you can show him your paper From Nashville to Rome, because you said it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna. Just came in from Botany. I wish there were some way I could really thank you. You are spending so much time helping a guy that deserves a good whack rather than help. I really apprecate the fact you do not put me down for many of the bad things I have done. Someday you will be proud of me, I promise. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank,

    You're welcome.

    You're worth helping Frank. The bad things that you did don't change that. God made you with a good heart, so don't ever let anyone make you think that you are worthless. That's Satan's trick: he will put thoughts in your head that you are a piece of trash, a nobody from nowhere. And sometimes he will get other people to tell you that too. But it's not true, so don't ever believe it.

    God knows you better than Satan; God made you. And God just doesn't make trash. He makes heroes. And that will be true, and He will love you, no matter what bad things you do, in the past or now or in the future.

    And I'm already proud of you. I'm kinda proud of you for becoming Catholic, but most of all for what you wrote in The Scarlet Scar. My grandpa didn't have a great family life as a kid, and I think there was some abuse that happened there. Normally, that kind of abuse generates a cycle: a kid gets abused so he grows up to abuse his kids and then they grow up to abuse their kids. Breaking free of that kind of cycle isn't easy. But my grandpa made the resolve to be good to his kids and never even argue with his wife. And he did it. He and grandma were happily married without ever once arguing. My dad grew up in a happy home, and so my own family life was happy, too. If my grandpa hadn't been the guy he was, my life would probably have been much worse. So I've always had a lot of respect for him for that.

    And you are doing the same thing. Your dad gave you scars; you will never give your kids scars. That takes real character and real strength, Frank. That is something to be proud of.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna. You know how to help kids, pardon me young men. Frank will read this when he comes back from the library, but I'm going to tell you a little more about him.

    He said last night he worried a little about being the oldest person in his classes. But Frank when people see you they think your 17 or 18. Just don't tell your age if you don't want to.

    Now a contest between Alice and me. When you sleep, you twist and turn and because your tall when we see you in the morning usually one or both of your feet are not covered. You have an alarm which you apparently turn off to get a little more sleep. Alice is a "touchie". She really believes people like to be touched by another person. So your question Frank. Remember Anna and Caitilin will see this.Would you rather be awakened by the alarm of by Alice or me pulling your foot and saying get up man? ("Man"=74 year old trying to sound "cool.") Leave your answer here. By the way you talk at night. Alice and I don't listen so don't wory. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack. Just came in. I hope you check tomorrow morning.Jack you do not have to sound cool, you are cool. But alice wins the contest. I would much more like to be waken by a person pulling my foot than by a screaming alarm.
    Anna I'm(comtraction?)going to work on my last paper starting right now. Will try to send it tomorrow. Thanks for your last kind words. They help me to realize I could be something. I don't(comtraction?) mean a doctor or anything but just a person someone can be proud of. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frank,

    Your two contractions were perfectly good contractions, although you spelled the word comtraction. :)

    I will be out tomorrow, so I probably won't have time to respond to your last paper until evening, but hopefully I will have time before I go to bed.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete