Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Miracles???

One of my favorite bloggers commented to me a while back that miracles were quite logical because certainly God could suspend or overturn the laws of physics in regard to Padre Pio if He so desired. Theoretically a good answer, but not very convincing.

Suppose my son-in-law and my boys are fixing my patio. They unload a 80 pund bag of dry cement mix and drop it on the patio to get it ready to pour, and the bag goes UP not DOWN. Could an almighty God cause this to happen? Well, yes, but what would be the consequences? Should we be cautious everytime we put something down because it might go up? So when I try to lay my fork down, should I fear it might fly up and hit me in the eye?

Throughout history millions of people I am sure have reported strange occurrences that defy the laws of physics. How should we approach such incidents? I won't go as far as Hume and say the possibility that the unusual event not occurring must be greater than its occurring. That is the possibility of the fork not going down must be more improbable than it going down. So we need a criterion to deal with strange events, such as a person being in two places at one time or a person defying gravity and floating in the air. The rule of thumb that has come forward in recent years is: Events claiming to void natural laws requireEXTRAORDINARY proof. So God might implant the image of Mary or Jesus in my tortilla or pancake. But I need the extraordinary proof. And the same goes for Padre Pio being in Moscow and Atlanta at the same time. I' m waiting for the evidence. If we do not follow this criterion then we should be afraid to go outside. As we go down the steps we might just fly up to the roof. Jack

10 comments:

  1. For what it's worth Jack, you've kind of motivated my last post.

    Tell me what you think but try to be nice! :)

    I hear ya Jack! I'm always nice to you Victor and I still can't figure out exactly why! (lol!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, made a fast read. Maybe, I say MAYBE, I agree with some of what you say. I'll reread. Unfortuneatly , your style is a bit confusing, but at least you're not a foul mouthed wimp like J.... Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on tough guy, why not spell out the whole name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure. John Haynes. And your name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why should I tell you? By your own admission, you describe yourself this way:

    I am a rat---big, mean, aggressive, dangerous.

    Remember, boundaries, Jack. Boundaries are appropriate. Something you still haven't figured out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Jeff. Still playing 'fraidy mouse.'I think I'll start calling you "The Stalker". Preying on women and college kids. You must be ashamed of your name. You challenged me. I came through. How about you? Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack says of himself:

    I am a rat---big, mean, aggressive, dangerous.

    ...and mentally unstable, I will add, throwing mud like a child of three. So you don't get my full name. You'll have to figure that one out on your own. I'm not interested in being on your Christmas card list. Do you think you can get to me with schoolyard taunts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, fans, Jeff has barred me from his blog. Probably good. He was personally a threat to my kids and family. So you be the judge. DON'T, DON'T EVER give personal information on your blog. That is, if you care for members of your family. Jeff threatened to 'blackmail' me once. I fell for it again. So parents be careful!!! I'll admit I was stupid, but I will not ruin the lives of others because of threats. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete