Monday, February 23, 2009

Silent Majority

I was planning this week and next to record my comprehensive beliefs on abortion, contraception, sexual morality. But that makes for long blogs. So I will break down the parts into several separate blogs.

First, I want to challenge the belief that the abortion issue is so polarizing that hope for any agreement is futile. Instead I believe there IS an approximate consensus of the issue. If you look at the polling on this issue you consistently find three groups.

One. Those who favor the right to abortion under ALL circumstances. This positionn is held by about 20 percent of the population.

Two. Those opposed to abortion under all circumstances. This position is held by about 12 percent of the population.

Three. Those who believe the legality, the 'rightness', of abortion is based on the particular situation. This group represents about 70 percent of the population.

In this third group there are clearly differences as to where the line should be drawn, legally and morally. BUT THERE IS CONSESSUS THAT POSITIONS ONE AND TWO ARE NOT THE ANSWER. Yet the two extremes totally dominate the debate. Both "one and two" positions refuse to give an inch for fear, as I have posted before, that accepting even the slightest modification of their positions will lead to a 'slippery slope' of either government control of personal decisions or the killing of all the 'unborn.'

So my position is simply that of the great majority. Saying that one cell is just as much valued as my 5 year old grandson is rejected by the vast majority. And saying that a mother has a right to kill her child anytime before actual birth is also rejected.

If I get any comments they will come from, I am sure, groups one or two. The vast majority will be 'silent' as old "Tricky Dick" use to say. Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment