Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ten Best Movies. To Me.

In 1937, my mother began keeping a journal, not on a daily basis, but approximately weekly, about our family life and her other interests. She continued these until her death in 1984. These are now my possession. Some members of the family have suggested we publish them. But they would be a little general interest because she concentrated on family affairs and did very little on events of the day, such as the Second World War. Practically all members of our family, direct and extended, have read parts of these journals.

In 2001, I published a short book sumarizing my life and views. I did write a good deal about our family, but also wrote about my interests. I usually did this by making lists of what I thought were outstanding things I had read or heard about or concluded. On the lists I usually gave a reason for my preferences and choices. So I am going to rerun some of these lists for family members and friends that do not have access to the journals or the book. I will not give reasons for my choices, but just the lists.

First, a list of favorite movies. The first movie I saw was "The Little Colonel" in 1938. I can actually remember going to the movie, a vague memory to be sure, but still a little feel of the theater, the crowd, etc. I have been a fairly regular movie 'goer' since then. So here is my list of the best movies I have seen, with one update since the book. BTW not in order of preference.

Casablanca
Doctor Strangelove
E.T.
Psycho
Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner
The Third Man
The Last Picture Show
The Big Sleep
Bonnie and Clyde
Slumdog Milliionaire

My original list had about 8 others, but top tens is the tradition of lists.

4 comments:

  1. Casablanca! A great movie!

    I saw it twice and I'm almost tempted to play it again.

    Are you starting to soften UP?

    God Bless,

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor,

    I've always been soft. You just have not seen me in a real rage--like about the "Legionaires of Christ." Am going to post now about Wagner and R. Strauss. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two favorite movies are Princess Bride and Shawshank Redemption. Have you seen those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna,

    I saw The Shawshank Redemption. Very good. Have not seen Princess Bride. We've been missing you. Jack

    ReplyDelete