Friday, November 16, 2007

A learning experience--

I'm in the doghouse with what I liked to call "friends"---I'm quite sure they do not think of me as a friemd or even an aquaintance. I must say that I don't even recognize myself in some of the negative responses I have gotten. Mis-using anon. Gee I thought of myself as one of the few commenters who gave their name. Ad hominen attacks, non sequiturs on and on. That sure doesn't sound like me, but that's what some say. So I will try to stay off blogs I like, but I will make some comments on my blogging experience. And some of the things I've leared.

My first blogging experience was with Joe Cecil. Looking back I see he allowed all points of view to be expressed. My recent experiences have not been that salutary. Most, but not all, bloggers I have found recently will allow a certain amount of disagreement, but become quite unsettled if they are disagreed with, especially if the commenter is not totally immersed in catholic culture. They then label, if not immersed in that tradition, the commenter as engaging in personal attacks. It really is a small catholic world they're interested in. These bloggers know all the saints, all the holy days, and quaint stories about monks in Ireland(?) and jazz musicians. Some of these bloggers call themselves liberal or moderate catholics but 'arch' up like a cat cornered by a Rotweiler if you really question any basic catholic teaching.. Each blogger has his own club, divided between realatively perceptive commenters and sycophants---"Oh, Bob what you said was just so "zowie."

And listen, they are Catholic to the core. They were either brought un Catholic or recent converts, considering C S Lewis and G K Chesterton the sine qua non of philosophy. Forget Plato, Spinoza, Kant, after all they were not catholic enough.

On a lighter side, one of my critics chides me for not revealing everything to my wife, apparently including all sexual thought and actions over 75 years. I pray he follows his own advice and his wife writes them down. Everything from age 8 to 50(?). Every 'naughty' thought, every secret fantasy, every titilation,( if he has experienced any of the three)--smile. what a contributions to science. The first complete history of every sexual thought experienced by one man. Lecture tours, maybe even a movie--certainly a Burns documentary!!!! Maybe even a Larry King experience.

Oh, I know these catholic liberals and moderates. A fine wine, a slightly off-color joke about B16 (tee hee) and a new set of rosay beads.

Before I wrote any of this , my wife, who has no, I repeat NO non=catholic ancestors and not even knowing I was going to write this told me last night as we returned from a really posh--and man I mean a REALLY posh liberal catholic party "Aren't catholics an interesting group. They know every saint, every holy day---they were brought up that way and can't help it."

So back to the start. If any one reads this remember I am on the forbidden blogger list. Don't read this. Go back to thinking about the old monk and the jazz musician.
See you tomorrow. Got to go tell my wife I had a S-- thought. Jack

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Jack, why do you do this to yourself? Your anger and hurt go so deep. Don't you know how much God loves you? The Creator of the universe thought you were special enough to be worth making; the All Mighty Lord Sabaoth, Leader of the Heavenly Armies, takes the time to listen to your every thought, and desires to satisfy YOUR heart. And in the face of all this you're focusing on how your friend hurt you? Let it go, Jack. Don't offer a surface acknowledgement of some sort, but really deep down in your heart, let it go. Because the Most High has plans for you - glorious, wonderful plans - and your anger and hurt are getting in the way of your glory. He offers healing - take him up on the offer.

    It doesn't need to matter to you if Jeff or anyone else did or did not intend to insult you or otherwise hurt you or if they did so inadvertently or if they accused you unjustly. God's opinion of you - not theirs, or mine, or anyone else's - is the one that should really matter to you. Pay attention to your heart - if there's things that you've done that lay heavy on your heart, then bring it up with God. Ask him for healing, for forgiveness, and go to confession. Don't let it fester. If your heart isn't heavy, and accuses you of nothing, then rejoice and be glad - a clean conscience is worth more than praises from all the commenters in the world.

    Above all, remember how much God loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I am more devoted completely to the church. This is not anger or hurt. I have said from the very beginning years ago that the church's attitude on sex must be changed. Even the church can be mistaken, and in this area they are and it needs to be discussed even at this level if it is to survive as a truly viable institution. Last week I heard several excellent catholic high school kids laughing openly at a program that paired the teenagers with young married couples. The announcement of the program noted it would be closed by a question and answer session led by a priest. The kids were literally screaming with laughter.

    I have just finished re-reading "The Essential Catholic Catechism". A fine book but absurd on sex--clearly saying that married people MUST be inferior to celibates. Tomorrow I will cite clear evidence to this fact. The church clearly teaches that you are diminished in devotion to God if you marry and engage in any type of sexual action or thought. This is self serving, insanity to me and needs to be fought.

    Yeah, Jeff and Garpu feel offended, pricisely as I do by their arrogance.I thought pride in piety was to be frown on. One of the above has openly distorted what I have written.

    You Anna and Liam are true christians. Some others like playing catholic.

    Humour, is not bad. I prefer it over fake piety and to you and Liam I say carry the banner high. I don't think you two have a fake bone in your bodies. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack,

    My last post wasn't referring to your comments on sex. Not that I don't think there's some anger underlying that one, too, but it seems more idea-oriented. I'll probably write some thoughts on that, too, but that will have to wait. This post here that I commented on - Jack, it just screams of hurt feelings and resentment. As far as I can tell, this has been simmering in you for awhile - it's just going to keep poisoning your life if you don't let it go. Christ can help us overcome these kinds of spiritual wounds, even though it's hard.

    Humor is good, but real humor is something that makes everyone feel lighter. You took someone's comment out of context and held it up as something ridiculous to laugh at. I don't find that funny.

    I hope I don't sound harsh, but this thing between you and Jeff and Garpu is really tearing at my heart.

    God bless you,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, am I being sabotaged? Just finished a post and was cut off. Try again.

    Despite the fact that the only infallible person on earth must be a virgin(or celebrate)male; despite the the early church fathers all praised virginity over sexual contact; despite the fact that only celebate males by bring the body and blood of Christ to us(with a very few exceptions)--despite these facts and others let us look at the catechism.

    On Mary's perpetual virginity: It is a sign of her total consecration to God....

    On priestly celibacy: Those who God calls to virginity or consecrated celibacy abstain totally from sexual activity...and give themselves to God alone.

    Now it does not take a Whitehead or a Wittenstein to see that it must follow logically that those, not called to virginity or consecrated celebacy cannot give themselves to God alone. Only virgins and celebates are so honored.

    I cannot accept that Father O'Brien is by definition, all things being equal, my 'superior' because of his virginity.

    This is not a petty issue. The effort to 'go back'by the "traddies" is in great part an effort to reassert clerical supremacy. More on this later.

    As to humor;Swift had far more influence than those who wrote pedantic tomes on issues of the day. Certainly, I am no Swift, but neither have I seen many weighty tomes on the blogs---you excepted, of course. You know there can be a difference between catholic and christian--they go together as you so elegantly show. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, Anna, where did I quote out of context? Had that in first post but forgot to ask in 'replacement' post. Also mentioned in Post one that several people at Mass today congradulated me on my opposition to parading the candidates before 600 eyes before they were 'dismissed." Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack,

    You're not being sabotaged any more than anyone else using blogspot.

    I think I'll try to answer the sex comments in the newer thread on sex. This post is just to answer your other comments.

    Where did you take something out of context? Jeff said that a married man should divulge secrets only to one person – his wife. Emphasis on “only”. Jeff meant that it's better or safer for everyone involved if such secrets don't get shared with anyone else. But you exaggerated his comment to mean that you had to share every single sexual-related thought that you ever had with your wife – when that wasn't what he said or meant at all.

    You've said before that you find “dismissal” to be degrading, and now you mention that others congratulated you on your opposition to it. There is a young man at my church going through RCIA. He's in my Thursday-night Catechism group, so I've been getting to know him. I sit with him at Mass sometimes too, and he once mentioned that he gets embarrassed having everyone's eyes on him during dismissal. I don't think he feels demeaned so much as awkward, but I'm not sure. My own feelings on it are quite different – to me, that time seems like an important time for us as a community to focus on this person who wants to join our community, to appreciate the progress they have made so far, to really acknowledge them instead of just having them slip into the community without anyone acting as if it made any difference at all. It really ought to make a difference to us when people join or leave our community, our church; dismissal seems to me to be a way of publicly showing that we care that this person is working to join us.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, I must strongly disagree that sex secrets should only be shared with your wife. Where did he get that. Not even with a priest? Not even with a trusted friend and advisor? Not even with another when disclosure to wife would be disruptive to marriage? Come on let's be fair. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack,

    I didn't say you needed to agree with Jeff's comment. I said I didn't think it was funny when you ridiculed it.

    God bless,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was kind of funny. Jeff is erasing me from his blog because of a difference in style and his personal friendship with M. I hope he does not scare you off. Yeah, I need you, but even more Frank and the two other young men need support. Jack

    ReplyDelete