Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ethics and Art---Standards or personal whim?

Three yeas ago when I moved from our rather spacious home to a condo, I had a problem. What to do with my large library and my classical record collection of over 5000 albums. I love my condo---it has plenty of space---but not for the library and music albums. I sold most of the books but had to eliminate the records. It was a hard blow!

But here a few weeks ago I discovered youtube. And there they were---many of my favorites AND in video.

I never understood how people can love great literature, for example, The Book O Common Prayer, and then have their favorite music rock and roll and other inferior drivel. But they do.

Just two of the many favorites I have found:

Schumann's Piano Quartet, op.47 ,3rd movement.
Bach's opening chorale of his cantata "Wachet auf."

Later I may post on the absurdity of having 'standards' in ethics and wallow in the gutter in music. Arnold did say seek the highest and best. Some do this in ethics but trash its axiology twin, aesthetics.

There ARE standards in the arts. But most just say "it's all just a matter of personal taste" Should we apply that to ethics?

2 comments:

  1. Come On Jack tell me once again that you love only "Country Music"

    I hear ya Jack! Go back to your so called heavenly sleep Victor unless you want me to hurt your feelings again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, I just can't be cruel to you!!!

    ReplyDelete