Sunday, June 21, 2009

Anglicans----COME OUT FIGHTING

Well, this hasn't been my decade. My current church--catholic--is sinking fast. My church for 55 years---the Episcopal, I'll call it Anglican here---was number one in my 1950 rankings but now has me a bit confused. But I'll try to clarify. 

First, to clear up a couple of fallacies:

One  It is NOT true that, as many said in the nineteenth century, the essence of Anglicanism is "Let's dress up and play like we're Catholics."
 .
Two. It is NOT true that there are more Anglican church buildings than members.

This church is 'headed" by some guy in England they call ABC. He spends a lot of time with a queen----of England, that is. He has about as much influcence over your local church as the janitor.(Excuse me, I think they call him the sexton?) And your bishop. You live in Kansas and your bishop is in Tanzania or some place in Africa.

This church used to be called the Repuplican Party at prayer, but they even lost that title to the Catholics or Baptists.

Apparently they are 'ruled' by a General Convention, here in the U.S. There they debate issues like Resolved: God is a lesbian. But not too bad; better than God is a grumpy old many who likes to burn people alive for a zillion zillion years for crossing Him.

But it's the inter-church fighting that's amazing. Like the old saying: I went to a prize fight and an Anglican argument broke out. Police had to be called!

So, why are they even this high on my list. Well, they have really great church buidings; their liturgy is not equaled by any other Christian church. Most of the communicants are nice and kind of "uptown." They wouldn't be caught having coffee for breakfast---always tea. The women imagine they have been reincarnated from a Jane Austen or Trollope novel.

Now if your daughter wants to marry into this group. Well, she WON'T get the immediate social boost she would have gotten 50 years ago. Still it may make her seem like she has British background. NOT Polish!!! So take it if you can.

BTW this 'Church' has the first blog parish. Maybe the wave of the future. I'll get to that at my next rest stop.

2 comments:

  1. I have all of your rankings since the '50's, except the 1990's. Will they be for sale? Do you have some old copies? Fr. Wesley Knowles, OSB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Wesley. I have a few copies left. If you will send me your address I wll be glad to send you the last two rankings.

    ReplyDelete