Thursday, June 4, 2009

Christian "Growth"

Sometimes it is really hard to take religion, at least in its institutional form.

I am Catholic now; was Anglican the rest of my life. So I follow some Anglican blogs as well as several Catholic ones. Both Anglicans and Catholics, of course, want to 'grow' their churches. So what are they doing? Both are having trouble finding new followers in the Western world, so they are looking for new fields to conquer. Ah,!!!!What about Africa?Sure both groups would have to sacrifice some basic principles, but the rewards could be great. Kind of fuse the Christian message with local customs, like the subservience of women, hatred of gays, intolerance of others and you may have a winning hand. The Anglicans are well on the path of 'we can look bigger' if we recognize as true christians a kind of tribal like goup of bishops in Africa. And, of course, the same with the Catholics---after all isn't flogging of women who get out of line just a local custom.

Now, to my horror, it looks like the Methodist want in the game. This group is shrinking in the West, but, get this, growing in Africa!!! Well success breeds imitation.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jack! We Catholics are in good shape as long as we remember that Jesus basically started This Religion, Right?

    I hear ya! What can you tell me about this Jesus of ours?

    Well, the way I see "IT" is that IT's all in the eye of the beholder and for me J.E.S.U.S stands for Jesus enjoys saving usual sinners, sisters, sons, souls, spirits, saints but we all have free will and must first ask for HIS HELP.

    Gee Victor, will I ever stop asking you what you're thinking?

    Does that mean, you want me to stop now Jack? :)

    Peace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, maybe you can help me. I am pushing for a new dogma.That Jesus was present and laid the first cornersone at the grounbreaking of St.Peter's. And let him who doth not believe this be ANATHEMA!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really flattered that you asked me that question Jack but I'll need to think about "IT" for a God Moment but trust me, I'll get back to you! :)

    God Bless,

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Lutherans are playing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Doorman-Priest, I think that if we all remember to stick to the Christian basic while we're playing we should all be ok!

    I hear ya Jack! Tell me Victor what do The Alpha Boys of B.A.S.I.C stand for?

    As you know, "IT" is all in the eye of the beholder but for my boys it stands at this moment in time for "Blessed Acceptable Savior Indeed Christ"

    God Bless,

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doorman-Priest, thank God for Africa and South America. We can all stay in business.

    ReplyDelete