Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Brief Rest Stop. The UU's.

A brief rest stop as we climb up the religion ladder. The Unitarians, as we call them here, but the Unitarian-Universalist as they prefer to be called by the "in" group. After all UU is better than just U---might be confused with the "Unity Church."

Is this a Christian church? Depends on how you mean that. No trinity, no saints, no relics---hell, they even have atheist members.. But, now get this. My wife, a life long Catholic, would go Unitarian if she had to switch. Which she won't.

I happen to live 6 blocks from the largest Unitarian Church in America in terms of membership. Here in the sticks, oddly, this group has great prestige. Why? Because some of the most prominent people in our little town have been Unitarians for the last century. When I was young they had a fine man as leader(or whatever you call the 'preacher' at a Unitarian church.) Robert Sonen was his name and he always had time to open his library and give his time to us young radicals. Later he was succeeded by a guy named Wolfe, who was okay, but was kind of in your face and had buck teeth. The old downtown Unitarian Church is now a funeral home. The new building is fine, but lacks the old charm.

So you admire the UU(I'll use the two U's). A lot of real nice people and still a mattress for falling Baptist (Menken). They don't hurt nobody(just for pj in case she stops by).

As Stuermann said: I love the Unitarians. The scripture reading is from the Picwick Papers, the offetory music is Ave Maria, and the semon is on the presiden't stimulus package.

Coming from the old Ethical Cultural Society in our part of the World, it is difficult to put then in my religion rankings. But just stopped for a tip of the hat and to satisfy my wife. Jack

7 comments:

  1. someone told me you studied under Stuermann. Great thinker. Class of63.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >But, now get this. My wife, a life long Catholic, would go Unitarian if she had to switch. Which she won't.<

    Your wife sounds like a Saintly woman Jack if not only for putting UP with you! :)

    I hear ya Jack! Sounds like your wife is also Victor cause we've read some of your post and as far as we all know she's till putting UP with you!

    What do you mean by that Jack?

    Oh! Nothing sinner vic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Victor, my wife is TWICE as radical as I (good English). I have to keep her from throwing tomatoes at our crazy bishop. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you trying to tell me now Jack that she's the reason you're still a Catholic Mark?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that your way of saying that you really are a Mark now?

    Don't feel bad Jack cause I remember when I first walked into a pool room. I over heard two guys saying, Here comes a pidgeon but I knew that "IT" wasn't me! :)

    I hear ya Jack!

    Not me you hear Victor cause I'm now a Mark so you better quit while you're still a head!

    Really! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share my blog. Also good to confuse Catholic, Anglican 'weirds.' Not you.

    ReplyDelete